Tammy's Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

May Post

I read A History of US. Hakim's book gives a different look at what history books should look like. The layout of the text is much more interesting than what our history books looked like or sounded like. I would like to see a book that would give examples of what first grade history books would look like using this style. The story telling method and connecting to history is definitely what our students need. The integration of history into our Language Arts classes is how we can "fit it in" to our busy schedules as teachers. We can connect with our left and right brain learners in this way. I like how the timeline is at the end of the book to connect the storytelling method to the dates/events method.

6 comments:

  1. In our school (Mifflinburg Middle) the push is on to bring up our reading comprehension scores by reading more non-fiction. Now I know this is teaching to the test but Hakim's book or ones similar to it "fit in" as you say. I wonder if anyone has gone to the trouble of creating a bibliography of similar writing style history books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy I would like to see a first grade book too. I was thinking that as I read. Sometimes I feel like this course is a bit too involved for first grade social studies curriculum. I would be curious to see if this style of textbook is published for first grade, and if so is it more "first-grade friendly."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the interactive notebooking that you will learn about this summer will help to create a tool for this kind of connected learning in your classroom. I am sure that there are first grade resources available modeled on this design. Perhaps Keystones staff can help you locate some of those resources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky will help you find resources appropriate to K-2 classes. She'll have a big list of resources but then can work with you individually to find things that fit into your curriculum.

    One thing to remember when you come in June - we've designed the history pieces for you as adult learners. The notebooking and other instructional strategies will help you think about how to incorporate those content pieces which fit your curriculum into your classroom. Since the project serves K-6 teachers, not all content will be appropriate to everyone's classroom. The goal is for you to have a broader, deeper knowledge of the time period, which should give you a larger context for what you do teach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Tammy, I would like to see history presented this way brought down to a kindergarten or first grade level. Children are really interested in learning fun facts about history which were presented in the book.

      Delete